Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 medium cauliflower: raw and roughly grated
- 100g ( 3.5 oz) of rucola, 3/4 roughly chopped. Keep some leaves for decoration
- 2 baby cucumbers, unseeded and diced
- 2 big or 4 small spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tblsp of small capers, drained
- 1 bunch of radishes, sliced
- 1 bunch of parsley, thinly chopped
- 50g ( 1.75 oz) of almond slices
- 200g (7 oz) of blue berries
- 1 lemon: 2 tblsp of fresh juice, lemon zest
- 1 tblsp of white powder sugar
- White balsamic vinegar
- Fresh grounded pepper, fleur de sel and some grounded chilli flakes
- 6 tblsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Start with the cauliflower, then the baby cucumbers, the radishes, the almonds, the capers. Put them in nice big salad bowl.
- Make the lemon zest. Peel the yellow skin, without the white (it’s bitter) from the lemon. Slice the skin in very thin fries. Put them in a pan with some water and bring to the boil for 3 minutes. Pour through a sieve. Press the lemon and add zest, the juice and some sugar back in the pan. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and let it candy till lightly sticky with still some juice left.
- Make vinaigrette with this zest and its liquid. You need 2 tblsp of acidity. Add some white balsamic if needed. Add 6 tblsp of the olive oil and season with the pepper, the chilli flakes and the fleur de sel.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the cauliflower mix. Add on top of that the spring onions, parsley and the chopped rucola. Cover the bowl and put it in the fridge until you serve it.
- Just before serving add the blue berries. Only now, mix all the ingredients of the salad and dress with some extra rucola leaves.
- You have a light vegetarian lunch when you add some crumbled fresh goat cheese to the salad.
- It’s a fresh side dish for some lovely cold pork meat like Serrano or Pata Negra.
- For a more nutty taste use a good pumpkin seed oil (Kürbis kernöl) instead of olive oil. If you serve this salad with cooked wild mushrooms you have a vegan recipe.
Interested in tasting Patsie’s cuisine on board? Have a look at our cruise regions and calendar.